Creative Arts at Talbot School
‘are that stuff on which dreams are made’
It is with enormous pleasure, on behalf of Anne, David and myself, that I welcome you to Talbot Creative Arts Faculty.
The Creative Arts faculty was established in 2010, offering weekly Music/Drama and Art lessons for all pupils from Y7-Y11 and with the opportunity for Post 16 pupils to select Creative Arts as a termly option.
Students study a wide range of performance skills, music genres, drama and art techniques. Learning is assessed utilising P scales, photographic/video evidence and school assessment tools and lessons are enriched by a wide range of visits from musicians, artists and theatre groups. We work hard to form partnerships with other Creative Arts providers, thus giving students numerous opportunities to perform both in school and as part of prestigious national festivals. Please visit ‘Latest News’ on this website for more details of our current initiatives
Creative Arts partners include:
LIVE MUSIC NOW; Shakespeare Schools Festival; National Theatre Connections; Sheffield Theatres; Sheffield Music Hub; Music in the Round; Arts Award ; Newfield School, Sheffield .
- Our projects for this academic year include:
- November 15th 2016 : King Lear at the Montgomery Theatre, Sheffield as part of Shakespeare Schools Festival
- September 2016-July 2017 Weekly Guitar lessons for Gifted and Talented guitarists + weekly lesson for Beginners’ Group in conjunction with Sheffield Music Hub
- National Theatre Connections Festival performance at the Crucible Theatre, Sheffield, March 2017
- In partnership with LIVE MUSIC NOW Michael J Tinker has a one year weekly residency in school, tutoring choral singing and individual music therapy with students with PMLD.
- In May/June 2017 we are working with musicians from Music in the Round in order to perform Ravel’s Bolero In association with Artsmark, a two year development programme that will embed creativity throughout the Talbot Curriculum.
- Termly live performances in school from LIVE MUSIC NOW professional musicians
Highlights from previous years include:
- 8 years performing as part of Shakespeare Schools Festival including, in 2012, a Gala Performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream at the Royal Court, London.
- 4 years’ participation in the National Theatre’s Connections Festival-the only specialist school to participate.
- For the past 4 years, Guitar lessons from Sheffield Music Hub for Y7/8 pupils
- Last academic year enrichment workshops in school from theatre groups, sculptor and local artist, Joe Scarborough
- Participation in 2015 Sheffield Music Hub Gala Concert at the City Hall Sheffield in partnership with Bents Green School.
- Participation in 2014 the Yorkshire Schools Dance festival, York in collaboration with Seven Hills School, Sheffield
- Termly live music performances in conjunction with LIVE MUSIC NOW
- Performing Arts GCSE. In 2016 we were delighted to enter 6 students for this qualification. Students obtained 2 ‘E’s and 4 ‘F’s – a superb achievement.
Y11 students study ARTS AWARD at Bronze or Discovery level
Please feel free to contact me here in school or by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any queries about our work.
We look forward to meeting you.
Catherine Fitzsimons: Faculty Lead
Anne Staves : Art
David Sharman : Music